Saturday, April 28, 2012

DIY - tea cup candles


Hi everyone!   Today's blog post is going to be a DIY kind of post.  A while ago while browsing Martha Stewart's website I came across a how to make your own tea cup candles (which you can view here). I thought that was a really clever way to use up your old candles, I personally love candles and over the years gotten quiet a few.  However I was never really sure what to do with the candles once the wick was all burnt but there was still some wax.  This seemed like a perfect simple solution!  

Now onto the project!

What you'll need :
Two pots - one small and one larger
             *for the smaller one use one you don't mind getting covered in wax 
Candle wicks with a small stand on the bottom 
            at my local Michael's I got 12 three inch ones for $5 
Old tea cups 
            I found 4 tea cups at Value Village for $3 
Old burnt candles 
            I have quiet a few lying around my house 

How to do it :
1.  Fill your larger pot with water and bring to a boil 
2.  Fill your small pot with your old wax and place inside the larger pot to melt the wax
3.  Once the wax is melted dip a wick into the wax and stick to the bottom of your tea cup 
4. Simply pour the melted wax into your tea cup careful not to burn yourself
5.  Let dry for over an hour before using 

The whole thing took me about 30 minutes from start to finish - not including drying time.  This is great way to use up old candles and with Mother's Day around the corner, this would make a great gift!  Now you don't just have to use tea cups, you can use any container you wish to.  And the best part - besides having new candles was my total cost for this project was only $8! 

What do you think of these cute candles?  We'd love to see photos of your tea cup candles!
-xx Sally 




No comments:

Post a Comment