Thursday, April 26, 2012

Summer Reading

Summer is just around and for most of us that means more time for reading.  For this post I'd like to briefly talk about my top choices for summer reading.
*Note none of these are in any particular order.

1984 by George Orwell
This book is a classic and a must read for me.  I love the combination of sci fi and romance in one!  It's a great read, however at times it may seen a bit more dense.

The Book of Negros by Lawrence Hill
I first read this book two years ago and I seem to always come back to it.  It's an amazing story of one girl's journey from the plains in Africa to slavery in America and finally to freedom in England.  The book however does have some graphic descriptions and violence in it.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
The movie for this book came out this year - which I have not seen but the book itself is very lovely.  It's a book based on how the after math of 9/11 effected families in New York.  A very well written and heart warming book, also an easy read.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin
Like 1984 I find this to be a classic and a must read.  The romance and family troubles Jane Austin wrote about are still relevant in today's era.  I absolutely love this love story and find it to be my favourite love story of all times.  It's a great book to curl up with either on a rainy day or out in the sun.

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
This is the first book in the series and has become very popular in the past year.  The TV show I hear is also amazing.   I have not read this book yet, but I figured I should include in this list as I will be reading it shortly.  All of the books in the series (5 novels in total) are currently out and I look forward to reading them all!

I hope this short list has given you some ideas for reading material for either a vacation or just for your spare time.  I any of you wish to have a full review of any of the books you can contact us on our Twitter, Facebook, or in the comments.
Happy reading!
-xx Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment