Friday, June 8, 2012

My Proactiv Experience

If you know me, then you'll know that I've struggled with my skin for several years now. My skin isn't the worse skin out there, but it is bad enough to make me uncomfortable with it. I've never wanted to go out in public without having foundation, or at least I've wanted to cover up my spots. I've tried several drug store products with little success, I have sensitive oily skin - I try to stay away from scented washes as they cause me to break out more and sometimes even leave me with red patches.

Th other day - after being completely fed up and upset with my skin I decided to take the plunge and try out Proactiv. I hoped that this would finally solve all of my skin worries. And despite it being expensive I picked up a 60 day kit for $67 (Canadian) and took it home full of hopes. That night I took of my makeup as normal and tried the 3 step kit. I notices right away that it smelt horrible and faintly of bleach, however I ignored that and continued on with it. In the morning I woke up and used the kit again (it says to us it twice daily) and this time also used the sample mask provided. After I began to get ready for my day. It wasn't until I was putting my makeup on did I notice red blotchy patches all over my face - they looked like chemical burns and hurt to touch. I realized that right then and there I needed to stop using it and return the kit. (Thank goodness for he 60 day money back) When I took the kit back I talked briefly to the sales girl about my experience and she said it was possible I was part of the 1% who are allergic to the chemicals in the product! She did mention how since you have sensitive skin it would be a good idea for me to do patch tests behind my ear when trying any new products.

So I've decided rather than waste my time with trying new products and being let down I'm going to try to control my acne with diet and going to see a dermatologist and get them to give me some creams and washes that won't make my skin react badly too. Through this experience I've learnt that it's really important to take care of our skin and know what works and what doesn't work for you. You only get one set of skin!

Wishing you wonderful and healthy skin!
-xx Sally

3 comments:

  1. I assume you mean Proactiv as opposed to Proactive? I had pretty much the same kind of thing. It gave me more spots if anything. How old are you? I used to have god awful acne, now that i'm older it's cooled down so much. Hormones balanced out and all that. I have faint acne scars still but that can be covered up fairly easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Just wanted to say thanks for your comment! Also I'm hoping by changing my diet will help as my hormones should be under control. Did you do anything to help your out?
      -xx Sally

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete