Tuesday, August 28, 2012

University Series : Move In Day Tips


I'm back with the University Series!!!  Today's post / video is all about Move In Day tips (this can be applied to both moving into Residence or into an apartment).  However, if you haven't seen the other two videos / posts in the University Series, go back and watch those first before viewing this one!

Move In Day Tips 
I know for me, the first time I moved out two years ago into residence, it was pretty stressful.  I would have loved to know these tips before moving in, so I figured I'd share them with you guys! If you have any other useful tips be sure to leave them down below. 

Dress For The Weather 
This is key.  I know in Southern Ontario it is always hot at the end of August, especially the Labour Day Weekend. It's going to be a long day of moving in so you want to make sure that you aren't going to be uncomfortable.  If you're starting in the morning it may be a bit cooler, I would suggest wearing a tee shirt with shorts and bring a light sweater along. 

Comfortable Shoes 
As I said above, it's going to be a long day and you want to make sure you're comfortable.  You're going to be walking around, standing and lifting a bunch of things so foot wear is key.  I personally like to wear my Toms when moving in because they are light weight and comfortable.  They also keep my feet nice and cool! 

Drink Water and Eat Snacks 
Between the stress and excitement of moving in, you can easily forget to keep hydrated and eat.  It's key to remember to be drinking water and eating snacks so you can keep up with your busy day.  Keep a water bottle and some granola bars in your purse handy, and you can even go as far to set reminders on your phone if you wish.  Don't make the mistake I did last year and forget to eat, because you will regret it. 

Be Prepared 
Wether you're moving into residence or into an apartment you need to be prepared.  This means finding out directions to your new place the night before and knowing what paper work or ID you'll need to have on you.  I suggest calling your building or residence a few days before so you are able to get everything you need together.  They'll be more than happy to also go over the move in process with you so there are no surprises! 

Start Early 
I know that most people love to sleep in, especially when you have a long day ahead of you, but it's important to start early!  I know in residence there is just an open time period for everyone to move into the building, so I would recommend being there before it starts.  I know it may sound a bit strange but I can guarantee there will be others there as well!  When moving into a building, if you're living above the ground floor, I know that you will need to book a move in time.  I would still suggest arriving about 10 minutes before your slot, so you are able to notify the building manager you have arrived and collect your keys.  The earlier you begin the sooner you can get on with enjoying your place. 

A Few Reliable People 
Moving in is stressful, and you want to make it as relaxing as you can.  To take away some of the stress I would only bring a couple of reliable people with you.  You don't need to bring your aunts, uncles, grandma, cousins, and neighbours with you.  The more people you bring the more stressful the situation will become.  A good amount of people to bring with you would be one to two people.  You also want to make sure you're bring people you can count on.  The day of, you don't need to be worrying about wether or not your ride will show up.  

Those are my move in day tips, that I have learnt from experience.  If you have any more tips, share them with us below!  And keep your eyes pealed for the next three videos coming your way!
-xx Sally 

No comments:

Post a Comment